St. Mary's Church

In 1832 and 1833, a considerable number of retired veterans of the British Army and Navy, some of whom had commuted their pensions for land, settled in this area. Largely members of the Church of England, their spiritual welfare was at first cared for by the rector of Adelaide Township, the Reverend Dominick Edward Blake. In 1840, one of these settlers, Lieutenant Charles Preston, donated land for a church and burying ground, and this frame building was constructed about 1843. St. Mary's is the oldest remaining church in Middlesex County. It was consecrated by Bishop Benjamin Cronyn in 1860 and many of the original settlers lie buried in the adjacent churchyard.


On the grounds of the church, Concession Roads 5 and 6, one road west of County Road 6, outside the community of Napier - southwest of Strathroy

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Middlesex

Municipality: Township of Strathroy-Caradoc