St. Paul's Church 1834

This church was completed in 1834 shortly after the founding of the community. It was financed through the efforts of Admiral Henry Vansittart and constructed under the direction of his agent, Captain Andrew Drew, R.N. The Admiral also pledged maintenance of its first incumbent, the Rev. William Bettridge, who served the congregation 1834-79. During the Rebellion of 1837, the building became a temporary jail for prisoners captured by local militia. St. Paul's was consecrated in 1838 by Bishop G.J. Mountain. The chancel was added to the original structure in 1843 and the transepts in 1851.


On the grounds of the church, Dundas Street east of Wilson Street, Woodstock

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Oxford

Municipality: City of Woodstock