St. Paul's Church

In 1828, Richard Duncan Fraser, the son of an early Loyalist settler, Thomas Fraser, donated land here for the building of a church to serve the Anglicans in this area. Their minister, the Reverend J.G. Weagandt, the missionary stationed at Williamsburgh, was the former Lutheran who had become embroiled in a bitter local controversy when, in 1812, he persuaded his congregations in Williamsburgh and Osnabruck to adopt the Anglican faith. Under his guidance, a stone church was erected here by 1833. Despite the efforts of other early pastors, the Rev. J.G.B. Lindsay and the Rev. E. Boswell, the congregation remained small. In 1872 a new St. Paul's Church was built in nearby Cardinal and, except for this tower, the old structure was taken down.


At the site of the former church, St. Paul's cemetery, County Road 2, just east of Cardinal

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: United Counties of Leeds and Grenville

Municipality: Township of Edwardsburgh/Cardinal