Menu

St. Peter's Church 1827

A fine example of early Gothic revival architecture, this attractive church lies in the midst of the original "Talbot Settlement." The nave was erected by the congregation in 1827, and the belfry and tower, added in 1845 to accommodate a bell donated by the Earl of Galloway, adhered to the original style. In 1849, Bishop John Strachan consecrated the church, and two years later the Reverend James Stewart became first resident priest of the parish. Charlotte Simcoe, a daughter of the province’s first lieutenant governor, gave St. Peter’s a silver Communion Service in 1844. The nearby burying ground contains the graves of some of the area’s earliest settlers, including that of Col. Thomas Talbot, founder of the "Talbot Settlement."

Location

On the grounds of the church in Tyrconnell, southeast of Wallacetown on County Road 8, near John E. Pearce Provincial Park

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Elgin

Municipality: Municipality of Dutton-Dunwich

Themes