Menu

St. Thomas' Church 1824

This church was completed in 1824 on land given by Capt. Daniel Rapelje, the founder of the city of St. Thomas. It is one of the province’s finest remaining examples of Early English Gothic Revival architecture. In 1825 a tower, steeple and chancel were added with the aid of a donation from Col. Thomas Talbot. The first incumbent, the Rev. Alexander Mackintosh, a missionary deacon who served from 1824 to 1829, was also the village schoolmaster. One of the earliest churches in the Talbot Settlement, St. Thomas’ was consecrated in 1833 and used continuously until the completion of Trinity Church in 1877.

Location

On the grounds of the church, 55 Walnut Street, St. Thomas

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Elgin

Municipality: City of St. Thomas

Themes