St. Thomas' Church 1838

This church is one of the few surviving structures in Ontario built of "rammed earth". This method of construction utilized wet clay mixed with chopped straw, compacted into forms and covered, when dry, with plaster or siding for protection against weather. Built in a plain, somewhat Romanesque style, the church was begun in 1838 and largely completed by 1841, although not officially opened until February 27, 1842. Lt.-Col. Edward O'Brien, leading member of the Shanty Bay settlement, donated the church site and clergyman's residence, and directed the construction of the church. He and his wife, Mary Sophia, are buried in the adjacent cemetery. The Rev. S. B. Ardagh served as rector from 1842 to 1867.


On the grounds of the church, Church Street, Shanty Bay

Region: Central Ontario

County/District: County of Simcoe

Municipality: Township of Oro-Medonte