Summerhill 1839

This house, built in 1839 by Archdeacon George Okill Stuart, was known as "Okill's Folly." When the Province of Canada's first parliament met in the nearby hospital, the members were housed in Summerhill. Leased for government offices in 1842-44, it was later occupied by a school. In 1853, it was purchased by Queens College and served for several years as the university's only building. During most of its history, it has been used as the principal's residence.


In front of the building, on the university campus, University Avenue, Kingston

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: County of Frontenac

Municipality: City of Kingston