Menu

Talbot Road, The

This road, named after Col. Thomas Talbot, the founder of the Talbot Settlement, was one of Upper Canada’s earliest pioneer highways. Surveyed in 1804 by John Bostwick, it ran from Sayle’s Mills (Waterford) to Port Talbot. In 1809 portions of the road line were changed by Mahlon Burwell who ran it through the site of St. Thomas. Two years later he was ordered to extend the road to Amherstburg and to survey branch lines connecting with the settlements to the north. By means of this early colonization road much of the north shore of Lake Erie was settled.

Location

Talbot Road West, 5 km west of St. Thomas

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Elgin

Municipality: City of St. Thomas

Themes