Tassie's School

The Galt Grammar School was established in 1852 in a former township hall and William Tassie (1815-1866) became headmaster the following year. Previously assistant headmaster at the Gore District Schoolboard in Hamilton, Tassie had come to Canada from Dublin in 1834. Under his direction the Galt School, familiarly known as "Tassie's" attained widespread recognition and attracted students from all over the continent. In 1853 the school was moved to a stone building which forms part of this structure, and in 1872 was among the first in the province to attain the status of Collegiate Institute. Finding the new system incompatible with his own methods of teaching, Dr. Tassie resigned in 1881.


On the grounds of the school, now the Galt Collegiate and Vocational Institute, 244 Bridge Street North, Cambridge

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: Regional Municipality of Waterloo

Municipality: City of Cambridge