Menu

Timiskaming Mission, The

The Roman Catholic mission originally established at Fort Timiskaming on the eastern shore of Lake Timiskaming in present-day Quebec was relocated to the Ontario shore of the lake in 1863. Here the mission comprised a presbytery for the Oblate fathers, a small hospital operated by two Grey Sisters of the Cross, and eventually a frame church.

Location

At the site of the former mission, Mission Point, at the foot of Old Mission Road, east off Highway 567 about 20 km south of North Cobalt

Region: Northern Ontario

County/District: District of Timiskaming

Municipality: Town of Cobalt

Themes