Toronto, Grey and Bruce Railway, The

This pioneer railway received its charter in 1868, and the first sod was turned at Weston on October 5, 1869, by Prince Arthur, third son of Queen Victoria. The main line from Toronto to Owen Sound via Orangeville was completed in 1873 under the direction of chief engineer Edward Wragge, and a branch line to Teeswater was added the following year. The first train went into operation on the southern section in April, 1871. The original choice of narrow-gauge track proved ill-advised, and standard gauge was adopted 1881-83. The line was leased to the Ontario and Quebec Railway in 1883 and absorbed by the CPR in 1884.


At the railway station, Mill Street, Orangeville

Region: Greater Toronto Area

County/District: County of Dufferin

Municipality: Town of Orangeville