Toronto Normal School

The Toronto Normal School, the first provincial institution for the systematic training of elementary schoolteachers, was established in 1847 through the initiative of the Reverend Egerton Ryerson, Chief Superintendent of Schools for Canada West. In 1852, the School was located in classical revival-style buildings designed for this site by F.W. Cumberland and Thomas Ridout. At first, the Normal School had to provide academic instruction for some poorly educated student-teachers but, increasingly, emphasis was placed on professional training. As a result, the Toronto Normal School contributed significantly to the gradual improvement of teaching standards throughout Ontario, and it became a leading centre for teacher-training. In 1941, the Normal School was moved to a different site and renamed Toronto Teachers' College in 1953.


Near the statue of Ryerson at the main entrance to Ryerson University, 40 Gould Street, Toronto

Region: Greater Toronto Area

County/District: City of Toronto (District)

Municipality: City of Toronto