Uxbridge Quaker Meeting House 1820, The

A good example of board and batten construction, this Meeting House was erected in 1820 to replace an earlier log structure. The building stands in the midst of the original Uxbridge Quaker Settlement, a venture begun in 1805 by some twelve families from Pennsylvania. The unaffected design of the building reflects the Quaker philosophy of plainness and restraint. The Uxbridge Settlement prospered until the mid-nineteenth century when the Quaker population declined. Closed in 1925, the Meeting House has since been re-opened for annual interdenominational religious services. In the adjoining cemetery on "Quaker Hill" are buried some of the area's earliest settlers, including Joseph Gould, a noted local industrialist and parliamentarian.


At the meeting house, Concession Road 6, just west of Uxbridge

Region: Greater Toronto Area

County/District: Regional Municipality of Durham

Municipality: Township of Uxbridge