Welland Mills, The

Believed to have been one of Upper Canada's largest flour mills, this substantial limestone structure was erected in 1846-47 by Jacob Keefer. It was constructed on the Second Welland Canal, a channel which has since been filled in, and used that waterway as a source of power as well as a means of transport. Solidly built and functional in design, the structure possesses the massive exterior walls and symmetrical façade which were distinctive features of contemporary industrial architecture. Throughout its history the mill has had a series of owners including the prominent Howland family, the Hedley Shaw Milling Company, and more recently the Maple Leaf Milling Company. Although no longer in operation, it remains an excellent example of the province's early milling technology.


At the former mill building, Pine Street, Thorold

Region: Niagara Falls and Region

County/District: Regional Municipality of Niagara

Municipality: City of Thorold