West Lake Boarding School

Built before 1839, this home, a fine example of "Loyalist Neo-Classic" architecture, was the main building of the West Lake Boarding School between 1841 and 1865. The first seminary in Canada of the Society of Friends, this institution was opened as a girls' school in 1841 and, with the completion of a frame structure for boys to the east, the school was in full operation in 1842. Thomas Clarke, a local Quaker, assisted by his wife, was the first Superintendent. By 1854, the school had a total registration of 110 pupils of whom 47 were girls and 63 boys. The school ceased operation in 1865 and was sold in 1869.


Near the former school building, now a private dwelling, Highway 33 just past Mallory Road, about 6 km west of Picton

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: County of Prince Edward (District)

Municipality: County of Prince Edward