The Fergus Curling Club


  • Community: Fergus, Ontario
  • Year built: 1928
  • Year club formed: 1834 

First curlers:

  • Hugh Black Sr. and his sons (Hugh Black Jr., William, James and Robert), along with James Perry, Robert Gawin, James Dimwoodie, Jamesand Thomas Webster and William Burst 

First stone:

  • Donated to the club by Adam Ferguson, town founder, in 1835.

The oldest continuously operating curling club in Ontario, the Fergus Curling Club was formed in 1834 by Scottish immigrants. At the organization's first formal meeting two years later, Adam Ferguson, a founder of Fergus, was chosen president and the rules of play were established. Curling matches between local players and against rival clubs were held outdoors until 1879 when a covered rink was opened. No longer the exclusive preserve of the Scots, curling became a popular activity in Fergus; the rink became a social centre for the community. Seeking competition from farther afield, the Fergus Curling Club entered bonspiels throughout the province, winning the Ontario Tankard in 1899. Today, it remains a significant force in intercommunity curling.

Visit the Ontario Heritage Trust provincial plaque and the club at 148 St. George Street West, Fergus, Ontario.

Learn more about the Fergus Curling Club on their website.