St. John's Church 1834

An Anglican congregation was formed in Peterborough by the Rev. Samuel Armour in 1826. Services were held in a schoolhouse until the building of St. John's was begun in 1834 and opened in the summer of 1836. Designed by Joseph Scobell and assisted by financial contributions from England and Ireland, it is a fine example of Early English Gothic Revival architecture. In 1882 it was extensively renovated. The first rector was the Rev. R.H. D'Olier, a native of Dublin, Ireland, who served until 1837. St. John's is the oldest remaining church in Peterborough County and has been in continuous use since its opening.


On the grounds of the church, 99 Hunter Street West, Peterborough

Region: Central Ontario

County/District: County of Peterborough

Municipality: City of Peterborough