Niagara Library, The

The first circulating library in Upper Canada, the Niagara Library was established in 1800 with a collection of some 80 books. The collection grew steadily and the library operated successfully until the War of 1812, when many volumes were lost. In 1820, the holdings were incorporated into a new subscription library that had opened two years previously.


At the old court house building, 26 Queen Street, Niagara-on-the-Lake

Region: Niagara Falls and Region

County/District: Regional Municipality of Niagara

Municipality: Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake